In this drag and drop web-based activity, I was presented with 12 phrases that I had to drag and drop into one of two categories: teacher-centered or student centered. The activity provides an example of a Reusable Learning Object (RLO) survey. Click here to take complete this activity.
Teacher-Centered Descriptors:
1) "Assessment is used to monitor learning". I thought this could be learner centered. I am not sure I fully agree that it is teacher centered. I think it may depend on how the word "monitor" is defined. Maybe in the strictest sense of the word "monitor" (giving a checkmark or grade for work completed), i agree it is teacher centered. But if "monitor" also includes taking the next step to assist student to achieve their goals fully, then i see it as learner centered... Actually now that i write this all out, I agree. It would have to be " monitor and provide support or feedback" in order for it to be learner centered.
2) "Emphasis is on generating better questions and learning from errors". I immediately thought of summative multiple choice exams in traditional classrooms. There is a lot of pressure on the teachers to precisely word exam questions and choices. Usually after these exams, teachers invite the students to appeal any questions that could be interpreted differently than what was intended. If the student can provide substantial argument for their reasoning for why he arrived at another answer, the teacher will give him points. In this case, the teacher does learn from their miswording, and can generate a better question. But the process doesn't seem entirely learner centered since it still comes down to whether the student's understanding of the question could be correct, and if he then answered the question correctly.
![]() |
| image accessed 3/23/12 from edweb.net |
Teacher-Centered Descriptors:
- Teaching and assessing are separate
- The instructor's role is to be primary information giver and primary evaluator
- Assessment is used to monitor learning
- Emphasis is on the right answers
- Desired learning is assessed indirectly through the use of objectively scored tests
- Only students are viewed as learners
- Teaching and assessing are intertwined
- The instructor's role is to coach and facilitate. The instructor and the students evaluate learning together
- Assessment is used to promote and diagnose learning
- Emphasis is on generating better questions and learning from errors
- Desired learning is assessed directly through papers, projects, performances, portfolios, and the like
- Instructors and students learn together
1) "Assessment is used to monitor learning". I thought this could be learner centered. I am not sure I fully agree that it is teacher centered. I think it may depend on how the word "monitor" is defined. Maybe in the strictest sense of the word "monitor" (giving a checkmark or grade for work completed), i agree it is teacher centered. But if "monitor" also includes taking the next step to assist student to achieve their goals fully, then i see it as learner centered... Actually now that i write this all out, I agree. It would have to be " monitor and provide support or feedback" in order for it to be learner centered.
2) "Emphasis is on generating better questions and learning from errors". I immediately thought of summative multiple choice exams in traditional classrooms. There is a lot of pressure on the teachers to precisely word exam questions and choices. Usually after these exams, teachers invite the students to appeal any questions that could be interpreted differently than what was intended. If the student can provide substantial argument for their reasoning for why he arrived at another answer, the teacher will give him points. In this case, the teacher does learn from their miswording, and can generate a better question. But the process doesn't seem entirely learner centered since it still comes down to whether the student's understanding of the question could be correct, and if he then answered the question correctly.

No comments:
Post a Comment